January 24, 2011

TV Heart Attack

Once upon a time in a land far far away I played in a really fun band called Grace Nocturnal with some friends from the island.  We used to come to the mainland often to play shows all over Vancouver, and one such show I met my soon to be long term friend Jason Corbett from a band (at the time) called Speed to Kill.
We loved hanging out with these guys in those days, as they were an amazingly talented group of people but also their music appealed to me. 

Fast forward 3-4 years.

A couple years ago I'd heard that Speed to Kill had disbanded and that Jay (affectionette nickname) had started a new reincarnation called TV Heart Attack.

Fast Forward another few years.

In 2009 Sweetheart was a part of the "Peak Performance Project" which is a radio contest supporting BC talent sponsered by Music BC & 100.5 the Peak (a great local radio station here in Vancouver).  As part of this contest, all 20 of the artists were to spend 1 week at a "bandcamp" where seminars and networking opportunities were held with local industry people.  Initially I was skeptical but when the top 20 artists were announced I was pretty excited when TVHA's name was mentioned.  I knew that they would be an ideal group of guys to hang out with for a week in the woods as they are probably the funnest, craziest individuals I know. Jason, Ryan & Art have the constant ability to make me laugh just by looking at them.  Maybe it's because I can read what they're thinking before they say it.  It's usually about the same kind of thing I would say.  Our humour is identical, it's awesome. 

I'm really rambling here but my intention was to review a song of theirs. 

Here we go.  Jay will probably hate me for picking "AO" because it's an "old song" but to be honest, it's a great song. 
Some people have the knack of writing a hook that is so strong that it stays in your head for days.  TVHA is this band for me.  I don't have much to critique in this song, to me it is the perfect mix of style and substance.  The chorus has a little songwriting trick in it where the band doesn't repeat the line on the 3rd time instead using guitar to repeat the hook.  It's ingenius.  Also the "Satellite of Love" throwback in the middle 8 is great.  One time I told Jay that I wanted them to repeat it but he told me that it keeps you coming back for another listen. It totally does.  I like this song so much that when Sweetheart went out for a tour with TVHA we started throwing AO at the end of one of our songs live.  Also, I love this band so much that when I heard they were looking for a new member I suggested one of my heroes/best friends Adam to join.  Is this making you sick reading this?  Bromance is delightful. 
I'm really excited to hear the next record from these guys. 
--
To wrap up: TV Heart Attack is a Vancouver band that has become on of my favourites over the years as friends and as colleages.   I've also become a huge fan and like to tell everyone about it!  They perform this Thursday January 27th, 2011 at the Forum on Granville (1163 Granville Street).  You should go.  You should tell all your friends.

Check out their website here:
http://www.tvheartattack.com/

Check out AO on Youtube here!
(this video is cool, right?)

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

2 comments:

  1. I too am in love with TV Heart Attack.. saw them by chance in a ratty little local club (the only club in town actually) and although the stage was barely big enough to move, the lighting was actually a single light, and the audience was less than stellar, there was something about the band that struck me immediately! I've seen TV Heart Attack as many times as I can - if my schedule jives with theirs - and Jason and I have become friends. I cant say enough good things about the band, their tunes and YES!!! AO has been stuck in my head since the first time I heard it, damn you Jay ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome!

    Yeah they're great dudes. I can't wait to see them all in the same room again for the first time in a while!

    ReplyDelete