January 11, 2011

2010 - The worst year of my life?

I tell people that 2010 was the worst year of my life.  This may or may not be true.  I had alot of highs and alot of lows last year.  One of the highest moments was when Sweetheart went to an undisclosed location in the forest of British Columbia and played a set for a Pilsner party and got to meet all the guys from FUBAR, drink Pilsner and have an amazing time.  That night I also got to meet Canadian Juniors Star Justin Pogge (and former Toronto Maple Leaf I might add) which was amazing because I am a huge fan of hockey and love meeting famous athletes.  Also, my amazing cover band, Bangarang, played a number of shows during the Olympics right on Granville Street and I think of a few of these shows as some of the best shows I've ever played in my life.  Also, this past November, for the first time in my life I went to Cuba.  I will expand that in a future post but basically it changed how I view my entire world.  Unbelievable.

Those were the good times.

There were a number of unexpected things that happened that really made 2010 stressful and difficult for me.  I'm sure you have had to go through alot too and when you're going through these things that strengthen you and harden you to diamond strength, you always react in ways that you wish you could change.  Maybe you don't know how bad things really are? One such example is sitting in a meeting with my then boss and owner of the company I worked for when they told me I was being laid off.  I sat there in utter disbelief and horror yet did not have any fight.  I did not have any strength to even say "Why me?"  Another low point in the year I came home to see my vehicle broken into and all of my musical gear stolen.  This is where the story gets better and the light at the end of the tunnel shows itself for the first time.  I have the best friends in the world.  I can't thank them enough.  Some of these friends put together a "benefit" show where the entire door proceeds went to me replacing my gear.  About 10 bands/solo artists/friends performed for free.  It was unbelievable.  I continue to thank them for this and will hold them dear to my heart forever.  The talent level among my friends continually blows my mind.  I'll probably use this blog to talk about my favourites in the future. But for now, just know that without my friends and family last year would probably have been the worst year of my life.  Because of the love and support of these people in my life, it could've been more of a downward spiral.  But it wasn't.  The things that happened were bad.  But bad things always happen, right?  It was love and support that held me together.

Thank you.

You know who you are.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment