January 12, 2011

Bad Mood

I woke up this morning with a bad mood.  Maybe it's because of the snow.  Maybe it's because I couldn't get inspired last night tracking vocals.  Maybe it's because it's the 1st full week back at work and it's only Wednesday.  Maybe it's because my iPhone alarm app doesn't seem to work this week. Anyway as I was on my way to work I was thinking about a tweet my friend Brian (from Thorney Bleeder Records) sent out yesterday or the day before.  What music gets you out of a bad mood?  So on the way to the skytrain station I put on the Futureheads (this is not the world, released 2008) and slowly I forgot about my troubles.  By the time I got off the train I felt almost semi-normal.  Then I put on Michael.  Do you know him?  He's only the king of pop.  Yeah, MJ blows my mind.  Quincy Jones knew how to keep space in a recording yet build a song at the same time dynamically.  Listen to Billie Jean one more time and tell me how great that snare sounds.  So now I'm at the office & I'm smiling and dancing to MJ. Screw the bad mood.  I'm even feeling inspired to have a 2nd try at that song that I couldn't seem to get last night.  Something about it wasn't clicking.  Recording solo is like this.  You don't have anyone to motivate you but yourself.  That's hard. But I'll get used to it. 

Go listen to the 1st three songs and get ready for the 4th:
http://www.martyzylstra.bandcamp.com/

I'll post a song soon.  I want to wait until Sunday but I might post sooner.

Love,
Marty
twitter: @martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment