January 10, 2011

The Start

Hello,
Social Media is the best way to start this conversation.  Here's where I introduce myself.  My name is Marty.  I live in Vancouver on Commercial Drive.  I work downtown.  That's my present.  My past is a long story starting in British Columbia, Canada.  Maybe you know that I am a former preacher's kid.  Maybe you don't.  I grew up in rural small town Canada first in Northern BC and then later in the prairies and then even later in Nothern Ontario and back to BC.  My perspective of this country is that it is vast and sparse.  Urban life really isn't what Canada is to me.  Maybe I'll talk about that some other time. 

About 3 and a half years ago I bought a MacBook.  I wanted to get a computer to start recording songs at home in a demo format.  It started small.  I barely could even use pro tools let alone a Mac.  I began with just an acoustic guitar and some mumblings. Now I can't write songs without this toolbox.  About a year ago I realized that I had a bunch of songs that didn't fit my band Sweetheart's sound.  Some are too acoustic.  Some are too poppy.  Some are just too weird.  I love Sweetheart by the way, you should go check out this band if you haven't heard us: http://www.iheartsweetheart.com/
So late last year after one of the worst years of my life I had an epiphany.  I wanted to purge myself (and my hard drive) of these songs that no one had heard.  Stop talking and start doing.  I decided to one by one, week by week, re-tweak a song and put it up on the internet.  I am now 3 songs into this process and I am extremely excited.  I'm tired of holding back.  I'm tired of letting things get in the way.  I'm tired of waiting.  I'm tired of the "old" way.  I'm tired of saying "No".  This year is about saying "Yes" and saying "I can do this".

Here's where you can find songs 1, 2 & 3: http://www.martyzylstra.bandcamp.com/

I just started the conversation. 

Love,
Marty
martyzylstra@gmail.com
twitter: @martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment