January 13, 2011

Adrian Glynn

Once upon a time in a different land there were true Artists left in this world.  Hell should I even say it?  Left in this City?  I'm not saying I'm one of them but what I am saying is that Adrian Glynn IS one of them. 

I went to a show last night.  At a new venue in Vancouver called the Helm.  It was a "game time decision" as they say in hockey.  I'd heard Adrian was playing and I love his work and hadn't seen him in a while so I decided to go.  The first time I experienced Adrian was at a music seminar camp I attended in 2009.  I had zero idea what to expect from him but I had heard great things. His music has a soul to it that draws the listener in immediatly.  He has an unbelievable star quality about him that is dark and also extremely raw and funny at times.  His performances seem to be rooted in stage acting.  He will use just his voice to draw you in so that at times it seems like you are the only one in the room sitting across from him, listening to his voice watching him sing.  He also can control the audience with a twisted sense of humour and storytelling. 
I have only one piece of critism.  His style of performing suits only a few rooms in Vancouver.  I think a restaurant atmostphere isn't perfect for him.  I was annoyed that people were talking at times.  I wanted to hear every word and every note.  I wanted everyone to hear every word and every note.  It wasn't that the 3 loud tables "in the back" were rude, it was a restaurant atmosphere.  I forgave them.  Rewind to his August 2009 performance.  I was moved to absolute tears.  I'm never moved to tears.

Go have a look for yourself.  Maybe you'll see what I see:
www.adrianglynn.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment