January 14, 2011

Dave Grohl Story


In the spirit of Dave Grohl's Birthday I reposted this story from Sweetheart's Myspace Blog with some changes to update the story bolded & in ()'s:

I am sorry that I haven’t updated this blog lately but now that I finally had a second to write I thought I’d tell my story about how MK met Dave Grohl and I missed it!
 
So last month (April 2010) we decided to gather a group of friends and head to ....Palm Springs.... for the Coachella festival.  This was probably one of the best weeks of my entire life and I’m very happy to say that I made new friends, saw a billion amazing bands and had an all around amazing time! 
 
As you know, or don’t know, Dave Grohl (the lead singer/guitar player and genius behind the Foo Fighters, and the former drummer of a certain world altering band from the 1990’s) (I can't beleive I had to explain this to anyone but whatever, way to go Marty!) is playing drums in a wicked side-project called Them Crooked Vultures.  They were on the main stage of Coachella and so when we first decided to go down, at a dinner between me & MK and our friend Adam (at the Foundation over nachos), I said that my goal for the entire festival was to meet Dave Grohl.  They laughed and said it would be awesome (I was serious though).  So on the Friday we’re hanging out cooling off in the beer tent for an hour or so, waiting to go watch Hockey (the band, not the sport, check out “Song Away”(or "Work")) and I decide to go take a quick bathroom break.  On my way back I decided to get a beer because it seemed like a good idea.  As I approach my group I see them talking to this dude on the other side of the fence (the VIP area) and I’m like holy shit that’s DAVE GROHL!  At this point MK and everyone is high fiving him over the fence and he’s saying hi, so I start to pick up the pace. Just as I get to the fence he’s 30 feet away, walking back carrying his daughter.  When I see this, I drop to my knees and yell “Dave!  It’s me! Marty! Your biggest fan! Come back!”  (totally music nerd but it seemed like an ok thing to do at the time).  Anyway, he didn’t come back and for the rest of the weekend MK and Adam make fun of me for missing my chance to meet Dave Grohl.
 
Funny story eh?
--
That was a great story, but I'm still pissed off that I didn't meet Dave Grohl.   I someday hope to meet you Mr. Grohl.   Oh and one last comment.  MK STILL makes fun of me that he Hi-5'd Dave and I didn't. 

Sucks.

love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment