January 17, 2011

I Hate Mondays

Yesterday I posted demo song 4 of ?
Go check it out here.  The song is called "I'm not your Normal Way"

When I first decided to post my demos online I had it in my head that I would put one up every few weeks and really take my time with it.  That's not what I've been doing.  Last week I shifted my idea and made a "slightly" mental decision to make it once a week.  I've never been good at keeping secrets.  I've got to get this out. I'm starting to find that this is a freeing process.  It's personal growth for me to let you hear these demos.  I've been in a "band" for 17 years.  Without the "band" backing me or shielding me or disagreeing with me or helping me I feel naked.  I now have the ability to make mistakes on my own with noone to blame but myself.

So here we are.  Track 4.
I wrote this song in 2007.  I remember the day I wrote it.  It was a Saturday.  I poured some coffee and sat down with my trusty guitar.  This was my old way of writing.  Waking up on a Saturday or a Sunday and getting a caffeine fix while strumming some chords until they turned into a song idea.  I usually don't write this way anymore but in this case it worked out really well.  The lyrics came from the fact that I'd just recently got my first cellphone and was working out the details & nuances of communicating with this new piece of technology.  At the time I thought that it was really strange how things like "oh my cellphone died and I missed your text/call" was a common excuse for not keeping an appointment with a loved one/friend/doctor/math teacher/mechanic/etc. 
I'll be honest, I've used that one.  Some of the time it is/was true. 

So I hope you like this new song.  I honestly put alot of work into editing this recording.  I don't want to get specific or anything but the original demo sucked.  I had to edit the entire song and rerecord most of the song.

The reason I personally like it so much is it contains one of my favourite "classic me" lyrics: "....like Brian Jones, a swimming pool, 100 pills and the Rolling Stones..."

Please critique me.

Alot of friends have been listening and giving me huge support on this project, but I'd love to hear from you so keep it coming.  I may take a song down every now and then and tweak it a bit and then repost, but for now, please enjoy the essence of what I'm doing.  Raw bedroom recordings.

Love,
-Marty
@martyzylstra
email me and I'll send you mp3's to put on your iPhone/iPod.   If you want a burnt CD email me and I'll mail you a CD-R when I get to about 10 songs:
martyzylstra@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment