February 17, 2011

Show Review - Dominique Fricot, February 16th, 2011 at the Backstage Lounge

Vancouver is a city of just over 2 million people (including all of the lower mainland).
There is a burgeoning local, independent, original, live music scene.
There are about 5 main venues that independent bands/artists/music groups frequent in the downtown core.
One would assume that as most people love music, a lot of people love the atmosphere of a small club, and then add the intimate nature of the singer/songwriter format, every one of these venues would be packed almost every night in Vancouver?
Wrong.

That being said:
It is very rare to see a place like the Backstage Lounge full on a Wednesday.  Last night was one such rare occasions.  I'm sure there were 100 people who made excuses why they could not make it to Dom's first show with a full band.  They either heard about the show or know Dom personally but needless to say, these mystery 100 people missed something big.  I'm not alluding to Dom's height (which is a common joke and a great conversation starter when you first meet this friendly giant), what I am alluding to is that he is a star.
Charisma cannot be taught.  It cannot be practiced in a rehearsal space.  You cannot take a course on charisma.  I believe you can learn to get better at charisma but some people naturally have it.  Dom has it.  He has it in spades. One of his biggest talents is drawing the listener in with charisma on stage.  I'm not sure if it was just last evening or if this is what every one of his shows is like, but he had the crowd in the palm of his hand.  He could do no wrong.  And he did not do anything wrong.  Even when he told a personal story about a recent experience with the law where he was in the wrong it was not wrong.  He could've fallen flat.  A lesser showman would've but last night he was funny, and bold, and brave, and controversial.  All things I love. 

In a previous post I mentioned that Dom was in a band before he started this solo endeavor.  4 guys writing songs and creating a sound together.  I don't want anyone to take offense to this but I feel that that band is only a shadow of what Mr. Fricot truly is.  His voice commands the stage.  How many times have you seen a singer carry the entire band?  A singer who, when he sings requires little or no instrumentation to fill the room with sound.  The timbre of his voice is extremely powerful.  And he can sing.  Man can this guy sing.  And was the band good?  Yes.  Damn good.  Let me tell you about them.  Firstly, it was clear to me that these guys are great friends of Dom and only want to help him and be a part of what he is doing.  Now I've always thought that if the bass player is really good, that you won't notice what they're playing.  If he's really good you'll only notice when he's not playing.  This guy was a perfect fit to this criteria.  And the drummer could fill the spaces that needed to be filled and play to the song. He was able to build a song dynamically when, at times, he was only using brushes.  There was also a 4th member of the band.  He was the backup vocalist.  He filled in where necessary and was very solid and filled the sound out nicely.  I have barely any constructive criticism but here it is.  Dom, I know you're reading this:  Give him a tambourine and or a tiny keyboard to add a little bit of organ sounds in the background.  I don't even know if it's a good suggestion because too much keyboard and too much instrumentation could ruin this already great band.  But visually it may add to the group and give him slightly more stage presence and build on his existing talent.

Now you'll have to forgive me for not doing 2 things:
1) remembering the song names
2) remembering the band member's names

Now that you've forgiven me, let's talk about the songs.
I hate to go back to previous work, but.  The previous original project Dom was involved in was “ok”.  They were good live, they had good stage presence blah blah blah.  Stifled.  That's the word I want to use when comparing his old band with the new solo material.  The new songs truly suit his voice, they truly suit who he is, and they truly represent him.  They have lyrics that are so powerful and meaningful that you believe what he is singing.  You believe he's lived these songs.  You believe what he is saying what he is emoting what he feels.  And to top it off all the original songs were extremely listenable.  I have to be honest; I really want to hear all these songs again.  On my iPhone/iPod, on my way to work, on a sunny Friday, when you have no cares in the world.  That's what they made me feel like.  They made me feel joy.  And optimism.

He wasn't afraid to take a few risks last night.   He played a beautiful cover of Neil Young's "Harvest Moon".  He performed an acapella number written by a friend with just handclaps and foot stomps.  He performed a duet of Sinatra with the 2nd act on the bill.  

This is the kind of guy Dom is:  There can be no live music in the Backstage Lounge until the Arts Club upstairs is finished.  They were running a hair late.  So what Dom did is play 6 songs to open the set and then the "opening act" performed her set (she was nervous as hell but she has a nice voice and has lots of "upside").  When she was finished Dom came back on and played 6-7 more songs.  A heart of gold.  It gave the crowd a chance to see both acts and if they didn't want to stay until almost 1 a.m. at least they got a chance to see some of the show.  When he returned to the stage for his final set, I was considering ducking out about half way through.  Hey, at least I'm honest right? 

I could not leave.  I was glued to my seat just like you would have been if you had been there.

Next time be there.

Dominique Fricot - Legend.
www.myspace.com/dominiquefricot
www.youtube.com/dominiquefricot
www.twitter.com/dominiquefricot

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment