February 11, 2011

Hidden Talent

To change gears I thought we could start a different conversation.  Hidden talents.
You know those small things that you can do that nobody (even the people who know you well) expects from you?  Maybe it turns out you were (almost) a pro-skateboarder in your teens.  Maybe you are almost an expert on botony or bird-watching.  Or maybe you once learned to figureskate and competed nationally.

Everyone has that hidden talent.  Either huge or small. 

My very few hidden talents are fairly unexpected (if you know me) and also fairly unrelated but all stem from former odd summer jobs during college or after high school: 
1) I can crack an egg with one hand or 2 eggs with 2 hands at the same time.  When you're a musician learning your craft, you take the odd part time job and in my "college" years, I worked as a short order cook mainly in high volume kitchens where breakfast was the speciality.  In these situations you have to learn to react quickly and breaking 10 eggs in a short period of time becomes a 2nd nature.  I can also cook a mean omellette and pretty much any "standard" breakfast you can think of.  I wouldn't call myself a chef but I do ok.

2) I can operate most tractors.  Weird right?  Again, when you're in college or in a band, you take odd jobs out of your field.  For a few summers I worked in a bunch of garden nurseries either in shipping/receiving or in production and learned to operate about 10 different types of tractors.  I also had a few other random summer jobs where I was in landscaping and there always seemed to be a tractor used for various large heavy duty tasks and got used to operating it.   You'd be suprised at how easy it is.  It's not really a great hidden talent but it's fairly odd so I always tell people.

What is your hidden talent?

Tweet at me: @martyzylstra

or just comment!

I'd love to hear about it!

Love,
Marty
martyzylstra@gmail.com
http://www.martyzylstra.bandcamp.com/

2 comments: