February 10, 2011

Old Friends

The first time I met Toby & Ben was so long ago I can hardly remember when it was specifically.  What I do remember is that they were interested in what we were doing and that they had actually taken the time to support whatever musical project it was I was in back then.

A few years later their band (then called retrograde) came to Victoria (where I was living at the time) as part of a national tour and I really had wanted to see what this band was about.  In typical fashion for Victoria on a Tuesday night there was hardly anyone in the room but a few friends.  I do vividly remember that show.  This band was heavy.  This band was tight.  This band had chops that you would never ever see in Victoria at that time.  I hadn't been away from the island much other then the odd trip as a teen to Whistler or to the rare concert and I was completely blown away at that time as a young musician seeing this band tear the stage down.  These guys had so much presence that I had to get the record, devour it, and when I did I had to get a band together as tight and talented as they were. 

About a year later I finally did have this band together and got a chance to play some shows with Retrograde and it was great to become better and better friends with Toby, Ben, Brendan & Mark.  We stayed in touch as the years went by and when I moved to Vancouver finally in 2004 Toby and I became extremely close.  I even convinced Toby to produce a demo/EP for Sweetheart & then eventually he produced our full length.  What a guy. 

As more years passed and Retrograde as a band decided they needed a change to make a statement about themselves that it was time to move on from "Retrograde" and that name.  They thought "Retrograde" was associated with an outdated sound in Canada, and wanted to try something new and fresh.  At the time I vehemently disagreed, but understood it was their decision.
--
I was living with Toby in the "Rupert Mansion" (I think just about everyone I know has lived in this house at one time or another) a number of years ago when "Run the Red Light" was finishing their EP.  I remember countless nights when Toby would be in the control room in the basement tracking vocal ideas for a few songs.  I love the process of recording.  I would pop my head in and throw my 2 cents in. 

The sounds coming from the room were great.  They were different from Retrograde.  I was excited to hear the final product.  I even added some vocals to one track. 

When I got the EP I instantly was drawn to "in too far".  Here are sample lyrics:
We're falling out into the dark/the sounds are so unclear/the stars that died will come to life/again to disappear/close your eyes/and say goodbye/
Too far, in Too far, Nothing lasts forever in this world

I could talk about the nuances of the sounds of that song/record or the powerful vocals or the excellent performances/production that I have associated with Toby for all these years.  What instead I will say is that you should go find out what this band is about.  Go find out what passion and dedication to the craft is about.  Go find out why this band has been around and stayed together.  A belief in the creation of truly magical music by truly amazing individuals.  These people are my closest friends and would give you the shirt off their backs.  I know because they've given me the shirt off their backs countless times.

Download their EP here

Check out Run the Red Light's website here

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment