February 1, 2011

Carpenter

Are you a bro?

The first time I saw Carpenter play it changed my life.

It was March 2008 and they were playing a "Bro Show" at the Media Club.  The bill was something like: Living With Lions, Carpenter, Broadway Calls, and someone else either Battle Snakes? or Aspirations?, or ?

I went alone to this show expecting nothing, just wanting to hang out with my closest friend MK who works at the club and to drink some Pilsner and see some indie bands. 
I left this show blown out of my mind.  If you haven't seen Carpenter, go see them as soon as you can.  Even if you don't like punk/punk influenced post-modern rock, you will appreciate this band's live show.  Energy.  That's what an "industry" person would say to describe their music.  Energy.  Every person in the audience was singing along with these songs.  I had to know more about this band and find out what they are all about.

The day after this show I drove down to Zulu records on 4th and bought Law of the Land which is Capenter's 1st LP.  I still listen to this record almost daily.  It is an inspiring album.  Some songs on this record deal with touring with a band and life on the road and how difficult it can be to be away from your family.  Some songs deal with pain.  Lost love.  Found love.  Taking punches and continuing: 
"You can take what I say/twist and turn it around/You can't keep a good man down" is a sample lyric.
I'd give you my highlighted songs on this album but I don't have any.   This record is all good from beginning to end. You should just go buy it.  Support this band.  Why?  Because they would support you. 

Late last year Carpenter released "Sea to Sky".  A new LP.
I couldn't wait to get this record and bought it on iTunes the day it was released.  I wanted to hear it immediately.  Remember in the old days when you would mark on the calendar the release date of your favourite band's new album? 
I was not disappointed with this LP.  Right away 2 songs stood out and spoke to me:
"Joan" - a very heartfelt story about addiction
"Just another Friday Night" - A country tinged upbeat song with great pedal steel playing.

This record is raw and stripped down to 2 guitars, bass and drums.  There are no slick studio tricks.  It is honest and refreshing to listen to.  I really love this album and feel that it shows growth but also isn't a departure in sound.  You'd like it. 
Click here to go buy it!

Carpenter plays the Fairview on February 19th with: Northcote, Viginia Leaves & Childsplay
Click here for more info on this show!

**They will also be releasing their 12" of Sea to Sky on the same day, make sure you make it out!

I'll be reviewing the show here on my blog, so stay posted.

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment