February 7, 2011

Show Review: Atomic Tom & Sweetheart

Last Friday I was excited.

Do you know that I play in this band: Click here
I think you did know and I think that it is old news to you.
If this isn't old news to you, you should just go download our album for free here.

ok.

A while ago, we were asked to play a show at the Media Club in Vancouver with Atomic Tom.
This show was last Friday.  As I said before I was excited for this show.  I was excited for a few reasons.
1) I love playing with bands from outside of the city.  You get a new perspective on what is happening outside Vancouver, and what is people are doing musically, and on stage.
2) The pre-sale for the show was strong.  I really enjoy playing to a good crowd on a Friday night.  I love it.  More then anything.
3) Home Ice Advantage.  The Media Club is like home to us.  I hang out there often and we play there often.  I know the stage and I know the sound and I know all the staff as friends. It's awesome.

So when we showed up for load-in/sound check AT was on stage working out their sound.  I could not believe it when they literally stopped what they were doing to meet us and introduce themselves.  Very unpretentious, very down to earth and very nice.  Keep in mind this band is from Brooklyn New York and they've just driven over 2000 kilometers to play one of only 2 dates in Canada.  I really appreciated this small gesture.  Their soundcheck was really great and the quality of the sound was very very good. 

So fast forward to the show.

As you may or may not know, Sweetheart tends to exude energy.  We play upbeat songs and we try to interact with the crowd as much as possible.  It was fun.  Robert played his first show on bass (of many I hope) with us and he was extremely solid.  His background vocals were perfect and his calm nature on stage was exactly what gave us that little edge and confidence.  All round it was a positive experience for me.

to the Headliner:
Two things about AT.  Number one:  they have zero radio play.  They had only a small amount of promotion for the show but a small club listing in the local entertainment magazine.  They did not do interviews for the show.  They did not do press.  Yet, the club was packed.  Clearly the local industry is out of touch. Another sign was that the crowd knew their songs. The show. I really liked their show.  This was their 5th show of a month of touring and they had a great presense and charisma.  There were quite a few songs that stood out and of course their single "Take me out" was great as was a cover of "Don't you want me baby" by the Human League (from the 80's). 

I'm almost positive you'll be hearing about this band again and you should go buy the single, "Take me out" on iTunes:
Click here

So once again thank you to Timbre for having us and to the Media Club and to Atomic Tom.

2011 is really shaping up to be a great year.

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment