March 1, 2011

Netflix

Recently I started a Netflix account.

You're thinking, "honestly Marty, why are you blogging about this?"

I'll get to it in a minute.

Netflix is free for the 1st month and pretty cheap.  I like the mobility of the service and as the catalogue of tv shows and movies broadens it will only become better for me.  I don't love commercials and I don't love planning to watch the shows I like to watch only when they first air because I'm always extremely busy and never am home much.  Netflix solves this problem.

I'm not going to get into what my favourite shows are because you'll probably judge me and think less of me but I've definitely found some hidden gems in the Netflix catalogue and I would suggest to anyone who likes watching tv on their computer to at least try out the service for one month free.

(I'm not getting paid for this post FYI)

So here's my point.

I got an email from NF regarding a survey.  It said something along the lines of complete this short survey and you may be selected for a focus group where you'll receive a 6 month free subscription.

I never, ever, ever do this kind of thing but, I love free so I decided to complete the survey and thought nothing of it.  Later in the week I got an email from NF letting me know I was selected to be apart of this focus group. 

Here's the point.

Do you say yes enough to opportunites?  When you get a phone call from a friend to go out on a Tuesday night do you always politely decline?  or When your dad calls to invite you to a fairly uninteresting event (to you) do you go anyway just to experience something new?  I'm using my own examples that I said yes to recently but look at the past month.  Did you say no when you could've just said yes?

Well I'm trying to say "yes" more.  This focus group was an example of this.  The timing for it was perfect.  It killed some time when I was downtown waiting to meet some friends on a Friday evening.  I even got a chance to meet a great guy by the name of Gary who is a musician in Oakland in a Soul/Funk tribute band.  It was great and I'm really glad I did something I'd never done before.  Isn't it great when you can just get out there, meet new people, feel good about life, and maybe even lose a bit of the fear of the world?

That's what I took from this experience.   And that's why I now love Netflix even more.  I experienced something a little different and saw a window into a small group of peoples life for an hour of my time.  AND saved money for a service.

Not bad.

Maybe you should say yes more too.

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment