March 21, 2011

My controversial blog about Translink (Vancouver Public Transit)

Scenario #1:
It was Xmas eve.

I was heading to Vancouver Island for the holiday.  I did a quick google maps for directions using public transit to get to BC Ferries in North Vancouver.   I was pleasently suprised at the easy trip.  A short walk to the skytrain and 1 bus to the ferries.  All for $5.  Cheap right?

So I caught the skytrain, and when I got to the bus stop there was a growing line-up but I was confident that I would get on the bus. 

I was wrong.

When the bus showed up about 15 minutes later, there was a line-up about 100 people deep and I was about 25th in line.

Here's the problem: the bus was completely full and there wasn't another bus heading to the ferry for another hour (which means I would've missed the ferry)

Scenario #2:
It was 2008. 

I was excited to attend Radiohead's show in support of "In Rainbows" at Thunderbird stadium.  I was with some great friends and we decided to catch public transit there and back from this awesome show. 

Simple, right?

Getting to the concert was easy as pie.  One bus. 

When the concert ended however, about 8 thousand people all were looking for a bus. 

There was 1 bus every half hour and unfortunately the capacity wasn't 8000.

Scenario #3:
I was catching a bus home this weekend.  The B-Line #99.  It's a great bus service and gets me right to Commercial Drive near where I currently live.

Well this past Saturday it was the opening game for the Vancouver Whitecaps (GO CAPS!) at the stadium out in East Vancouver and every B-Line was completely, utterly packed. 

I took another bus because I knew that it was a waste of time to try to catch the B-Line that day.

Scenario #4
New Years Eve 2008
It was late (or early depending) and I was finally heading home after a night on the town with some friends.  It was far too late to catch a skytrain home because Translink only runs an extra hour on NYE.  With all of the focus on anti-drinking and driving, one would think the city would run more trains on the busiest drinking night of the year. I ended up walking half way home (5 kilometers) and then finally getting a cab the rest of the way.

--
Here is my observations based on the above true life stories.

Generally the bus system in Vancouver is very good.  It's integrated well with the Skytrain and costs very little to get all over the lower mainland.

Translink does not use common sense and does not pay attention to what is going on in the city.  I'm sure some of you have similar stories about Translink.  But I feel that Translink is another part of the problem when it comes to the stigma in the city as being "No Fun-Couver".  If you build it they will come, right?  Well this is true with the skytrain stations.  Local business is thriving around each train station.  Sure crime is up slightly and some properties are devalued but the skytrain service has taken alot of cars off the road and make commuting mostly better during the rush hour.

I also have a slight insight into improving service. 

How does Translink monitor usage?

There are no turnstiles at skytrain stations.

Many people do not pay for tickets and during peak hours the skytrain police do not check 90% of the time.  The "good faith" system does not work.  Why not hire a few people during rush hour to check passes and tickets?  Even just at the high traffic stations?  This would employ a few people and would also possibly increase revenues enough to pay for more buses and trains and other services for translink.  I've heard rumblings about installing turnstiles in the future but why not get this initiative rolling sooner?  My other argument that is "pro" turnstiles or "internal control" is that from a marketing standpoint, wouldn't it be great to use a system that more accurately calculates who is travelling on the train?  On Sunday the skytrain service is decreased but I see empty trains driving by all the time.  Does Translink notice?  There is currently no real way to integrate a tracking procedue other then the people who stand at the stations in green coats.  

What do you think?

Would you like to see the Translink "product" improved in any way?

Feel free to discuss.

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment