June 26, 2014

"I Made you a Mixed Tape" (Featuring guest blogger Rochele Potter)

"I made you a mixed tape"

Do you remember the days of mixed tapes? Do lovers still carefully curate a disc of songs for their objets désires? I still have the very first mixed tape that a boy ever gave me. He had broken my heart at the beginning of summer, and apologized in September by handing me the cassette and a note. I remember the second tape I was ever given, too. That tape set off a decade of eclectic playlists. The songs on his tape didn’t belong to any specific genre; he compiled them because he liked them. I followed his suit, and almost none of my mixes make any sense. As an adult, I now find them jarring to listen to the contrasts in genres.

Some time long ago in high school, downloading music and burning CD’s became prevalent. I wasn’t allowed to download music because my parents had a legitimate concern that I was going to Y2K the computer with a virus, so I paid a guy $15 to download and burn a CD of mixed songs. Music cataloging was a little sketchy back then.

These days we won’t even have to download music to share it. We make a playlist in YouTube and share the link. Or, in this case, it gets embedded. I’m glad it’s a lot easier, I can play DJ for all of my parties, but there was something so very special about being handed a tape or a CD. It became yours.

Enjoy this mix, I named it ‘I made you a mixed tape’ for old times’ sake. (click the link for the playlist)

Tracks:
1. Wildcat! Wildcat! – Garden Grays
2. Kevin Drew – Good Sex
3.Wet – You’re The Best
4. Cherub – Doses and Mimosas
5. Tei Shi – Nevermind The End
6. Lianne La Havas – Elusive
7. Bibio – Lovers Carvings
8. Mikky Ekko – I Love You (I Always Have)
9. The Chain Gang Of 1974 – Sleepwalking
10. Panama – Destoyer
11. Franz Ferdinand – The Universe Expanded
12. Beck – I Won’t Be Long Beck
13. Lianne La Havas ft. Willy Mason – No Room For Doubt
14. The Concretes – Miss You

--
Thanks Rochele!
-Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment