June 19, 2014

10 AMAZING songs to download right now! (#7: Acid Jazz Edition) ***Guest Post feat. Bill Farrant (of Weird Party)***

In the spring of 1997 I went to Europe with my best friend Nigel. Leaving for the airport, I grabbed an assortment of cassette tapes for my walkman. The first time I used it I popped in what I thought was the entire catalogue of Smashing Pumpkins demos, but it turned out to be an audio book for people with anxiety disorders on side A- my father was a psychologist, I must have picked up one of his tapes by accident. On side B, however, was a style of music I had never heard before: acid jazz. Nigel and I were taking a night train from Bremen, Germany, to Basel, Switzerland and this new musical style was the perfect backdrop to the relentless rhythm of the train tracks and the low light of the passenger car. With my headphones on, and the car nearly empty, It was if I was in my own private club, the fact it was a smoking car enhancing that feeling immensely. I listened to that cassette a hundred times over the next five weeks and when I got home my obsession for alternative rock was gone, and born was a love for groove, dance, funk, and horns. The album, United Future Organization’s self-titled 1993 album, is still one of my favourites, and has influenced my musical path ever since. Below are my top ten songs inspired by that night:

No comments:

Post a Comment