April 18, 2011

the Vancouver Sun Run

One of my favourite pastimes is running.

I got into it in about 2003 when I first decided to quit smoking.  My theory was that if I quit one addiction I would have to replace it with another addiction. 

Up until now, it's held true.

Most people who love to run long distances (5k or greater) will tell you about the natural high you get once you hit the "zone".  For me this "zone" is when you are breathing perfectly, your stride is right, and it almost feels like you've left your body.  In the past, this only happens to me after 8 kilmeters or greater and only when I'm street/trail running.  It's glorious.

Yesterday was the Vancouver Sun Run. 

It's a 10k race designed for former/novice/casual runners to get back into shape and to join in the spirit of activity.  The Sun Run organizers do an excellent job of making it a fun experience for the 50,000 + people who come out and join in. 

I'd run it before twice and the last time I was involved I decided I wasn't interested in running it again because of the congestion and swarms of people.  I was too focused on "time". 

I changed my mind when I was offered a free entry from my office team and got involved in the community spirit that goes along with this amazing 10 k race.

Yesterday as I was jogging in the crowd I attained a bit of zen.  It felt good to experience the race with all of these people.  I just kept a steady pace and didn't worry about weaving in and out of the crowd.  It was exhilarating. 

I've been training on a treadmill and to feel the wind in your face and the sun in your eyes on a beautiful spring day in Vancouver made me feel alive.  It made me feel more alive then I've felt in a long long time.

I'm really glad I joined in and I'm really glad daily excercise is part of my life instead of smoking a pack of cigarettes.

I hope you find the joy of running. 

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment