April 29, 2011

Family - Part 2

My sister's wedding was on Saturday last weekend. 

It was in the Victoria, BC area and was probably the most beautiful day of the year to date.  I was delighted when she asked me to play acoustic guitar while the guests were arriving and exiting during the ceremony and to be the MC & DJ during the reception.  It was a fabulous day and her & her new husband/my new brother in law looked perfect together. 

Now I don't want to get into specifics of the weekend but I'll break it down for you.  There was an incident during this wedding day where I felt all the responsibility and weight of our family on my shoulders.  I felt like in a few years, as the eldeset in the family, it will become my responsibility to shoulder the burdens of life as time passes.  I will be looked to during hard times to be the person that for kind advice for problem solving or for diffusing family arguments/conflicts.  I'm lucky to say that I won't be doing it alone.  My closest friend is my younger brother and he is a born leader.  We will be the people to carry our family when times get tough.

This realization was a culmination of a few events last weekend but what really hit me wasn't just the above.  What really hit me is how lucky my parents are to have each other.  Through the triumphs, through the failures, through the hardships, through the successes of life & raising a family, they have been there for each other.  At my sister's wedding I looked at my new brother in law and knew that that's what he will be for my sister and that's what she will be for him.  I looked at my brother who was the preacher at the ceremony and I hoped he would find someone to help carry him.  I thought of my life and how badly I need that person with me.  Not just during the hard times, but also the good times. When memories are made.  Through everything.

I hope you find this person in your life.

I wrote a song a few years ago in Mexico.

That's what these feelings are about.

Have a listen here

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment