July 21, 2014

Tough Mudder 2014

In February, a few of my pals talked me into signing up for Tough Mudder this year.  We did the "let's do this!" high five sort of camaraderie build up one night as a team of 10.  As I was a spectator 2 years before for year 1 in Whistler I thought based on my running training regime I probably could get through the event and it looked cool and fun and a challenge.

Here's the thing: it is difficult.  Loose stones, bad gear because you don't want to ruin your good gear in mud, and the obstacles that everyone hears about really do make it a challenge.

Here's the take away for me.  I hear a lot of people talking about things like "live in the moment" or "be present" or these types of concepts ring really true today. It's valuable advice in my opinion to live a life within the moment but something that I would add is "execute".   As an independent musician "going solo" I've been thinking that executing a plan is more important that coming up with an initial idea. 

We had the idea to do Tough Mudder and we completed it as a team.  It's an accomplishment almost more in the sense that we said we'd do it, and we followed through.   The experience is important but it begins with an idea and then execution and then follow through.

I like that.  I try to follow through on the ideas more.  Sometimes the idea isn't the most original or the newest or the sexiest or even the highest tech.  Whether it's "I want to start a small business", or "I want to lose 10 pounds", or "I want that new job" my advice just get out there and do it.  Get in there, get dirty and go.   Make a few mistakes on the way.  Today is the day to turn the entire thing around.  Massive drastic change will cause massive drastic results.

love,
-Marty
@martyzylstra





No comments:

Post a Comment