May 28, 2014

Artist Interview: Vancouver's Dominique Fricot

I had a chance to sit down and discuss (via cyberspace) my pal Dominique Fricot's new recording experience, and a few of his favourite things.  Take a minute and read up on what he's all about here.  I suggest you get in on what's left of his ground level because he's soon to be in high demand all over the region and likely North America/the World very very soon.

MZ: In your new song "I miss the 80's" you reference a number of pop-icons and artists but what I noticed was a hint or reference about your sister(s).  Tell me what it is about your siblings and those relationships that inspired this song
DF: While the song talks about a lot of the pop icons of the 80's, I think what I was feeling when I wrote this song was my experience of being 4 or 5 years old and digesting culture through the filters of my two big sisters. All of the tapes I listened to, and opinions on pop culture at the time was very much molded by what they liked and what they were bringing home. As I say in the song "I'm too young to really know" the 80's. Which isn't really true because I was alive, but you made a good observation, my sisters had a big part in my perspective at the time.
MZ: Warne Livesey is a master producer.  What did he bring to the table that was different then other producers from your previous work?
DF: Warne or papa dubs, dubya or Dubstep has an incredible ear for arrangement. His father was a jazz musician so I think that lends a bit to his ear for more elaborate chords and harmonies than other producers I've worked with. What I love about working with Warne is he follows the old adage to "serve the song" as most producers do but he has the sensibility to not make each an every song a radio single. Songs off my record like "hermit in the park" and "you can't leave me" are from he and I's favourite songs and I think it's because we let them be what they were: one a dark creepy ballad that turns into almost a trip hop groover, and the other a short little acoustic lament with a tasteful string accompaniment.
I think Warne has great honest sensibilities while having the pedigree to make a pop hit and get world class sounds on tape (digital tape)

MZ: Was there specific sound themes that you wanted to achieve with Warne?  Were there unexpected or surprise moments on your new LP where you achieved something far better than your expectation?
DF: I wanted the string accompaniments to play a strong part in this record which I think we were fairly successful. For both of us the biggest surprise was where the song Saddest Thing went. We didn't really have anything more than a nice piano part and vocal and then we just started experimenting with electronic beats and putting delays on Rhodes.  Once Warne sequenced that trippy beat every time we'd track or listen back I couldn't help but bounce all around the studio doing my silly weirdo dance.
MZ: I enjoyed your Vancouver locale name dropping on your previous record.  Is the city of Vancouver in this new LP?
DF: Yes, Marty. There is. There's a track called Granville Bridge that was almost this name of the whole record, but I changed if last minute.
MZ: Do you have a favourite craft beer?  What is it and where do you like to drink it?
DF: Nah. Drinking beer for me is something I do with friends. Really the most important thing for me is the company. Therefore I'll say my favourite beer to drink is whatever my man Cory Curtis (bass player on Sweet little fantasy, and Hannah Georgas) is pouring out of his beer fridge, and the best place to be is either on his couch or his deck.
MZ: Here we go.  Who's your favourite Beatle?  Why?  and what's the song/era that connects with you the most?
DF: Knowing you, Marty,  I feel like this whole interview was to get to this question. John Lennon hands down. I like his humour and how he spoke out the most with controversial/hilarious things. What era? I'd go with mid to late. His productivity may have slowed down but I think that's when the production and writing became more interesting and he had long left behind boy girl love songs. It's weird though not my favourite songs, loser and nowhere man are probably the songs I most connect with. Is that bad?

That isn't bad Dom.  In fact, that's probably about right with me too!
--
Dominique's single "I miss the 80's" is available now on iTunes.  I suggest you go grab it.  And then check out all of his other music right away if you haven't already and curl up with a glass of red wine and fall in love with everything this homegrown Vancouver/British Columbian talent has to offer.

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra


No comments:

Post a Comment