May 24, 2011

the BEST Electric Guitar Strings EVER!

I'll never forget the day I got my first "real" guitar.  It was a cherry red Korean Samick cheap-o that had terrible electronics. The moment I got it home until the time I was good enough to start a band I did not put it down.

One of my favourite ways to learn new songs was to buy guitar magazines such as Guitar World or Guitar for the Practising Musician and in one of these magazines was an advert for guitar strings.  One such advert featured a picture of Kim Thayil from Soundgarden who was my idol at the time.  It was for Ernie Ball's "super slinky" strings.  I thought it sounded so cool at the time so I started buying this brand and only this brand.  10 gauge, regular slinky.  Here's a link to these strings.

It's funny how people do not change.

Every time I restring my guitar I always think about how I would never use anything but Ernie Ball "10's".  I've tried a few other brands and gauges over the years but 10's are the best for my style of playing.  I'm not a real fast "lead player" but I do like to throw the occasional guitar hook in and I'm not really just a rhythm player but I do like to have strings that I can hit hard and stay relatively jangly.  These are the perfect strings for me.

Later in my guitar playing career my grandmother bought me a Mexican Fender Strat Special for re roofing a house.  It was a terrible weekend of grueling Ontario heat in the summer.   What a bad idea.  Re-roofing a house in early August in Ontario's hottest summer in years.  It paid off.  I went to Sam's music downtown Toronto and picked out this really cool black on black mexicastor.  I loved that thing.  To this day I pick it up and it feels perfect.  I've had it for years and I will always have it.  I'll never forget the first time I strung it up with new Ernie Ball 10's and hit into some Soundgarden.  Probably a badly played version of "Spoonman" or "Black Hole Sun".  I'll always remember that summer as being one of my best.  Maybe that's why I still play this lime green package of strings.  To remember my youth and the feeling of hitting that "G" chord on your favourite guitar with brand new strings with the amp turned up full blast.

Check out Ernie Ball's website here for more of their awesome products

Love,
Marty
@martyzylstra

No comments:

Post a Comment